Friday, May 30, 2014

Stiltsville

Tepid conclusions swell in August:
waves lapping at house legs,
shortening days drawing close
waters climbing

themselves against gravity.
You yawn starry-eyed
and languidly draw
your legs to arms.

The house

tenuously over coral rocks:
creaking wood dampens dark
from rising ocean frothing
with circling clouds of minnows.

"Dusk always makes me a little uneasy."
"I know what you mean.
I wish we could fix these things."
"We're doing alright."
"No, I mean Stiltsville.
It's illegal to repair these things."

Watching from a roof over the ocean
the sun falls into climbing water
like a goldfish carried to a fountain.

"So it's just going to fall?
"I don't know, no hurricanes yet. Sometime.
We ought to get back before it's too dark."

Miles east clouds drag and circle
each other into a system
that will dissipate before landfall.

"When I was two my family almost
died in one- I remembered when I was
seven. We didn't board the windows
and Andrew crystallized them.
The house was luke warm
and full of glass- the pieces
were this big."

You wink and frame
a calm eye with two long fingers,
smiling, "I want just one more bad one
to stir things up."

The boat pushes home,
right of the red buoys to land.

No comments:

Post a Comment